Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Somethings are just easy as pie...

Both of my kids are now on Pinterest (because, well, shouldn't we all be??) My son kept finding all of these great recipes, so I told him - if you find something you really want to make - we will go get the ingredients and you will make it from scratch. Next thing I know, I am looking at Little Chief Honeybee's blog (http://honeybeeinthecity.blogspot.com/2011/11/wedding-wednesday-chocolate-chip-cookie_30.html) and drooling along side my kids at the chocolate chip cookie dough pie she had up. So, off to the Publix we go and pie making ingredients we have in hand. So, tonight, I took my OCD hands off the wheel and stepped back and let my 11 year old make his pie. It would have been faster if I had mixed the ingredients myself, it would have been easier to measure everything out myself, but it would not have been as sweet. We have to let our kids walk on their own path. As parents, it's really easy to want to hold their hands and walk one step in front of them to keep them from tripping or from running into the bad things. But, they have to trip, they have to fall. They have to win and they have to lose. They need to come in first and they need to come in last. We can't live their lives. And sometimes, we have to let them wipe up their own pie batter when they drop it or else they will never know how. Learning makes life sweeter and sometimes letting them find their own way can be as easy as pie.

Be on the lookout for my next blog entry - an upcycled shirt tutorial! Have a happy and safe 4th of July and God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment